Frequently Asked Questions
When Are the Different Apples Ready?
Our apples mature at different times throughout the harvest season starting in August and going into October. See the chart below for more information on your favorite variety.
What forms of payment do you except?
Cash, Check and Credit Card.
When are you open?
Aug 25th through November 1st daily from 9-6; and
Open in Spring by appointment for bare-root tree sales
What do you have for Free?
- Hiking our Nature Trails.
- Hay Bale playground.
- Beautiful areas for a picnic lunch.
- Greats spot for family photos.
What are the activities?
Can I pick your own apples?
Yes… please call prior to coming to know what is in season to pick!
How much do the apples cost?
$1.29 to $2.99 per lb
Where are you located?
Do you have food to eat?
Vendors are on-site for food purchase and lunches are available on specific weekends. See Calendar.
Are your Apples Organic?
We are not certified organic. If we had a choice we would not spray our trees!
It is simply not an option with as many insects and different diseases pressuring our crop. we spray as little as possible to get by.
You don’t want a worm in your apple!
Can I bring my dog?
Well behaved leashed dogs are welcome!
What is the most popular apple?
SweeTango and Honeycrisp are always in 1st place!
How much is a peck?
A peck is an imperial and United States customary unit of dry volume, equivalent to 2 gallons or 8 dry quarts or 16 dry pints. So a half peck is equivalent to 1 gallon, or small bag of apples.
Do you accommodate Group Visits?
Yes we accommodate large or small groups.
Please call ahead to apprise us of group size and approximate arrival time.
What is a Dwarf Apple Tree?
Dwarf Apple Trees
- A Dwarf Apple Tree is a tree that is about 40% in size to a Standard Tree.
- They produce Fruit in 1-2 years where a Standard tree can take 7 years.
- Easier to prune and thin.
- Easier to harvest.
- Will need support
How do I get a Dwarf Apple Tree?
- You need to contact a grower or specialized nursery that has Dwarf Root Stocks (Gilby’s).
- Most Nurseries you need to order the trees 2 years prior to when you want them.
- Most Nurseries also have minimum order quantities like 50 trees.
- It is very uncommon to find a Dwarf Apple Tree at your local garden center.
- You will 9 times out of 10 find Semi Dwarf Malling 7.
Why would you choose a Dwarf Apple Tree
- You can plant many trees in a small area you can plant 3’ apart.
- 60% increase in yield.
- Instant gratification!
What types of trees can you get on Dwarfing rootstock?
- We currently have Honeycrisp and Zestar on B-9 Rootstock
What is a Pollinator?
Different apple variety in the same bloom time with different parents to achieve maximum apple production.
What is a bare-root tree?
Trees dug from the ground when they are dormant (leafless) and the root are shaken free of soil. They are kept cool with their roots moist until planted.
Do you ship bare-root trees?
No, for pick-up at Gilby's Orchard only.
When is the best time to plant bare-root trees?
As soon as the frost is out of the ground… to ensure the tree gets off to its best start.
How big are the trees I am buying?
Caliper or Diameter of the trunk is how the trees are measured. On average, the trees are 7 feet tall.
When do I prune my trees?
The best time to prune your trees is in March - before the tree comes out of dormancy.
When will my tree bear fruit?
- Dwarf trees will bear fruit in the first year or two.
- Semi Dwarf 3-5 years
- Standard 5-7 years.
We encourage you not to let any of these trees bear fruit for the first two years, so the energy can be put into the root system and tree.
What is the charge for admission?